U.S. Friends of Chalmers
US Friends of Chalmers is an organization that aims at promoting and advancing education and research at Chalmers University of Technology through financial support and contact building in the United States. The organization was started in 2002 by Chalmers together with a group of Alumni. This is the first organization of its kind in the U.S. for a Swedish University proving how strongly many of our alumni and fans feel for their unique “Chalma Mater”. The first annual meeting was held in May 2002, electing the founding members Bo Hedfors, Erland Magnusson and Conny Kullman as officers of the corporation.
Principles of US Friends of Chalmers are Chalmers University of Technology, Chalmers Student Union, Chalmers Alumni Association and Chalmers University of Technology Foundation.
Promote and support research, education and collaboration between Chalmers University of Technology and its US academic and industry partners.
Reaching out to US alumni and other potential supporters of Chalmers to increase the awareness of Chalmers University of Technology competence and competitiveness
- Organize local events to provide information about Chalmers and promote continuing relationships of loyalty and support for Chalmers University of Technology among its alumni in the United States.
- Organizie fundraising activities to financially support collaborative educational and research opportunities between Chalmers University of Technology and educational institutions, research and industry organizations in the United States.
- Encourage individuals, corporations and charitable entities to provide support for or become involved in education, teaching and research at Chalmers University of Technology.
U.S. Friends of Chalmers use funds collected by donations to make grants to projects within our framework. The Grant Committee reviews applications provided by Chalmers and makes recommendations to the Board of U.S. Friends for approval.
A grant was approved in 2006 to the Department of Microelectronics and Nanoscience at Chalmers to study the future of MC2, which houses a state of the art cleanroom for micro- and nanofabrication. The research at MC2 is done in close collaboration with Swedish and international partners within academia, industry and society.
Another grant was approved in 2008 as a seed investment in a Chalmers endowment for an exchange program of senior researchers between Sweden and the United States. That initial grant was instrumental to secure a 1 MUSD donation from Barbro Osher’s Pro Suecia Foundation.
Discussions with Chalmers are under way about future fundraising projects in the following areas:
- Transport – Sustainable Vehicles and Fuels
- Material Science – Emission from diesel trains (US focus)
- Information and Communication Technology – Chalmers Giga Hertz Centre
To give U.S. Friends more resources, Chalmers provides support for an Internship Program in Silicon Valley. Interns and young entrepreneurs from Chalmers get the opportunity to work and learn in a unique environment and part time manage U.S. Friends programs. The Internship Program is being set up with support from Silicon Vikings.